
I'm a huge fan of Halloween. I love decorating inside and out, and now with our new place I actually have a large yard to work with. I had this brainstorm ~ build a haunted house in the yard that can be seen from the road! Not the kind of haunted house where people can actually walk into it, just a Halloween prop, viewed by passersby.
Bob and I were walking in the woods a week or so back, and came across a tumbled down shack of a building lying among the trees. I could swear I saw an animal of some kind scurry inside as we got closer, so maybe it was home to a few critters. On closer inspection we discovered it was an old outhouse! I thought it would be perfect for my haunted house! So we got permission from the owner of the land to tear it apart and bring it home to be reconstructed. Turns out the outhouse (a three-seater!) belonged on our property years ago. Three brothers lived here, and while they had electricity, they had no running water or toilet facilities in the house. We left the triple seat in the woods, but tore apart the building as carefully as we could, loaded it on the truck, and brought it back home.
I meant to take a picture before we got started dismantling it, but of course I forgot. Bob says he's going to get started this week, trying to reconstruct it. He'll need some 4 x 4s for the frame since the originals are mostly rotted away, but if it turns out half of what I'm imagining, it'll be soooo cooool!
No comments:
Post a Comment