
What’s Love Got To Do With It
Tina Turner posed the question. What’s love got to do with it? Love is a second hand emotion, brought on by physical response, so the song would have us believe. Oh Tina, there is so much more to do with it.
Do you love someone? Why? Just because is the best answer I can think of. Love does not have a reason, it just is. Maybe it started with a physical response, but that certainly doesn’t last. Love has no strings attached. Love does not demand you be or act a certain way. True love is freely given without expectation.
I’m not prone to quoting Scripture, but the best description of love I know is in I Corinthians 13. Translations differ between versions of the Bible, but they mean the same thing. Love is patience and kindness. Patience does not come easily to some people, or as the adage goes, “Lord give me patience, but give it to me NOW.” Practice patience with those you love. Kindness will follow. Loving someone is a quiet, private thing – not a selfish me, me, me attitude. Love is not jealous or boastful, proud or rude. Love is about the one you love, not about you. Loving someone should be done without keeping a record of wrong doings. It isn’t a competition of how many things you did or did not do for each other.
Love rejoices in the successes and accomplishments of the one you love. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. Three things will last forever, the passage says; faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.
Just think what we could do if the entire population of the world knew love. Prejudices of color, race, sexual preference, religion, and nationality would end. Abuse and slavery would end. Hunger and deprivation would no longer be tolerated. Petty squabbles and wars would cease to exist. I am pretty sure this isn’t going to happen in my lifetime, but I keep on trying to spread the love around where I can.
Tina Turner posed the question. What’s love got to do with it? Love is a second hand emotion, brought on by physical response, so the song would have us believe. Oh Tina, there is so much more to do with it.
Do you love someone? Why? Just because is the best answer I can think of. Love does not have a reason, it just is. Maybe it started with a physical response, but that certainly doesn’t last. Love has no strings attached. Love does not demand you be or act a certain way. True love is freely given without expectation.
I’m not prone to quoting Scripture, but the best description of love I know is in I Corinthians 13. Translations differ between versions of the Bible, but they mean the same thing. Love is patience and kindness. Patience does not come easily to some people, or as the adage goes, “Lord give me patience, but give it to me NOW.” Practice patience with those you love. Kindness will follow. Loving someone is a quiet, private thing – not a selfish me, me, me attitude. Love is not jealous or boastful, proud or rude. Love is about the one you love, not about you. Loving someone should be done without keeping a record of wrong doings. It isn’t a competition of how many things you did or did not do for each other.
Love rejoices in the successes and accomplishments of the one you love. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. Three things will last forever, the passage says; faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.
Just think what we could do if the entire population of the world knew love. Prejudices of color, race, sexual preference, religion, and nationality would end. Abuse and slavery would end. Hunger and deprivation would no longer be tolerated. Petty squabbles and wars would cease to exist. I am pretty sure this isn’t going to happen in my lifetime, but I keep on trying to spread the love around where I can.
What's love got to do with it, Tina? Everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment