Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The following is my final column for the Westfield Republican newspaper. The editor has decided that my services are no longer required as a reporter, and has decided to eliminate my column as well. I'm sure this won't be the end of my writing ventures, but it will be some time before I appear in print. Thanks everybody for your interest and really nice comments.

Time Has Run Out

Remember that article I wrote a couple weeks ago about Time in a Bottle? Seems my time has run out with the Westfield Republican. The paper is moving in a different direction and my reminisces and ruminations are no longer part of the larger picture.

I will miss sharing news and views with you. Your feedback has been very gratifying and I want to thank each one of you who took the time to stop and tell me how much you enjoyed my columns. It’s been a fun run for almost three years – not nearly the longevity of some of the other columnists, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

My goal has always been to highlight the good in our town. The things I have written have largely had a positive slant. Several organizations and groups in Ripley have asked me over the years to write articles for them, or have cooperated greatly when I wanted to write something about the work they do. I have some special thanks to hand out. To the Ripley Veterans’ Roll of Honor, I wish you continued success in honoring our military here in Ripley. The Ripley volunteer fire department has been most kind in their cooperation regarding articles I’ve done about them, and they are a god-send in this small community.

Noah’s Ark from the Presbyterian Church, the anniversary celebration committee of the Methodist Church and the Ripley Senior Citizens have all asked me to help them out. Thank you for your confidence.

I’ve have covered events and stories from Ripley Central School as well as for the Town of Ripley. The Ripley Library and its support group, the Friends of the Library have provided me with ample opportunity to extol what’s good about this town.

To the many other organizations and people who have encouraged me, thank you as well.

For awhile I brought the Ripley Review back to life with reprints of the old articles. I had hoped to continue with that, but it’s not to be. But the Ripley bi-centennial is coming, and I’m sure I’ll have an opportunity to contribute to whatever is in the offing for the celebration. Ripley has a rich and interesting history, and we should be reminded from whence we came. We have a lot of which we can be proud.

I never intended to be a reporter, but rather just a columnist, writing whatever pleased me. You, the people, businesses and organizations of Ripley, allowed me the chance to stretch my writing skills. I am truly thankful to have talked and worked with each of you. Thank you for a great run. I’ll see you at Meeder’s.

No comments: