Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cell phones

Life was so much simpler before cell phones...

I don't deny the convenience of having a cell phone to call the folks and find out just exactly what it is they want from the grocery store, or having the ability to forward my home phone so I don't miss an important call, or knowing I have a lifeline in case of an emergency, but overall, I think life was less hectic without them. I think we have created an added stresser to our lives. We are never away from the office, or the family, or interruptions. A leisurely stroll in the woods is jarred by the not-so-ducet tones of the ringing phone. A conversation is brought to a halt while we answer the interrupting phone. And we all know how annoying it is to be behind a driver on the cell phone, weaving around, slowing down, pulling into the lane in front of you.

I came across a new annoying circumstance with the cell today. I had run into McDonald's (another modern evil) for a quick Coke. In line ahead of me were two women, one of them on her phone. After the nice young man asked if he could help them, the friend not on the phone had to call the name of the other three times to see what she wanted. The reply was, "ohhh... uh, a chicken sandwich," she replied vaguely and she went back to her conversation. Not knowing what KIND of chicken sandwich she wanted, her friend had to call her an additional five times to get her attention. In the time she took to actually pay attention and give her order, we both could have had our orders taken and filled, and gotten out of there! Hang up the phone and pay attention!

No comments: