One of our greatest pleasures when we lived in Minnesota was going to the Renaissance Festival and I was lucky enough to be there for opening day this year. We got there for "Opening Gate," that is when a lot of the characters are lining the upper ramparts of the castle before the gate opens to let in all the guests. The characters hurl insults or ribald comments down to the guests, and street entertainers walk amongst the crowds.
Isn't this the most precious thing you've every seen? This little fairy princess was standing in the crowd with her parents, waiting to get in. I couldn't resist taking her picture (with her parent's permission of course.)
The Bad
I can't remember this fella's name, but he was pretty grubby looking, and his soul purpose was to make fun of people passing by. He was hysterical. There was a young lady with a camera walking by, staring at him. He yelled out, "Whaddya you lookin' at!" and proceeded to criticize her (bleached) blonde hair, her tight shorts, her halter top, everything he could. She tried to keep up with him, but he got the best of her every time.
Actually, I wish I'd gotten a better close up of this guy's face. It was so lined with deep fissures he almost looked like he was carved out of wood. It was a marvelous face! He and his wife make hats of all kinds - fools caps, wizard's hats and great, big dashing Musketeer type hats with feathers. He was fascinating to talk to and we spend a lovely 15 minutes together.

No comments:
Post a Comment