
Memorial Day 2011
As this Memorial Day approaches I’ve been drawn to East Ripley Cemetery where several of my ancestors have been laid to rest. As I tend to the graves, pulling weeds and planting flowers, I am once again full of curiosity about these men who went before me and served their country. The recent death of Sgt. Kevin White of Westfield has been more real to me than those of my uncle and great-grandfather. Sgt. White’s passing is immediate, current, drawing my attention to the present wars the United States is waging around the globe. I know several veterans who were deeply affected by the tribute paid to White. To them it’s personal.
I come from a long line of patriots, dating back to pre-Revolutionary War years. Conrad Near, a German immigrant and my sixth great-grandfather, fought in the Revolutionary War and was killed in the Battle of Klock’s Field, near Palatine, New York. Several great-grandfathers fought in the Civil War on both sides of the battlefield. But the one that piqued my interest this week was Bernard E. Manning, my mother’s grandfather, who was one of two Ripley residents who fought during the Spanish-American War.
Manning, mentioned briefly in Marie McCutcheon’s book, “Golden Glow of History Past,” was one of two Ripleyites who fought in the Spanish-American War, the other being Merle H. Cornell. Lasting only a matter of months, Spanish-American War veteran’s graves are difficult to find I’ve read. Because so few men were called to serve in Teddy Roosevelt’s “splendid little war” it is rare to have the opportunity to visit one of those graves, and we have one here in Ripley.
One of the saddest stories in my family’s history, to me anyway, is that of Harvey Lanphere, Jr. When he was a senior in high school here in Ripley, World War II broke out. He was due to graduate in June that year, but instead he and a friend decided to quit school in March of their senior year and enlist in the Navy. “It broke his mother’s heart,” I’ve often heard. Seaman 2nd Class Lanphere never made it to war, however. He contracted rheumatic fever shortly after signing up and was medically discharged before ever being shipped overseas. Not long after coming home to what I’m sure was his very relieved mother, he was killed in an auto accident. I never knew him, but I visit his grave and tend to its upkeep.
There are so many of our men and women who have fought and died for our country who are forgotten. Families have moved away or simply lost touch with their forebearers over the decades or centuries. A stroll through Quincy and East Ripley cemeteries will reveal 200 or more graves of servicemen who lived in Ripley, dating back to before Ripley was a town.
As you visit the cemeteries this Memorial Day weekend, give a thought to those American heroes who died in battle, as well as those who lived to tell the tale. And when you see a veteran, stop and shake their hand and thank them for their service. So few of them receive the gratitude they deserve for sacrifice they’ve made for our freedom.
As this Memorial Day approaches I’ve been drawn to East Ripley Cemetery where several of my ancestors have been laid to rest. As I tend to the graves, pulling weeds and planting flowers, I am once again full of curiosity about these men who went before me and served their country. The recent death of Sgt. Kevin White of Westfield has been more real to me than those of my uncle and great-grandfather. Sgt. White’s passing is immediate, current, drawing my attention to the present wars the United States is waging around the globe. I know several veterans who were deeply affected by the tribute paid to White. To them it’s personal.
I come from a long line of patriots, dating back to pre-Revolutionary War years. Conrad Near, a German immigrant and my sixth great-grandfather, fought in the Revolutionary War and was killed in the Battle of Klock’s Field, near Palatine, New York. Several great-grandfathers fought in the Civil War on both sides of the battlefield. But the one that piqued my interest this week was Bernard E. Manning, my mother’s grandfather, who was one of two Ripley residents who fought during the Spanish-American War.
Manning, mentioned briefly in Marie McCutcheon’s book, “Golden Glow of History Past,” was one of two Ripleyites who fought in the Spanish-American War, the other being Merle H. Cornell. Lasting only a matter of months, Spanish-American War veteran’s graves are difficult to find I’ve read. Because so few men were called to serve in Teddy Roosevelt’s “splendid little war” it is rare to have the opportunity to visit one of those graves, and we have one here in Ripley.
One of the saddest stories in my family’s history, to me anyway, is that of Harvey Lanphere, Jr. When he was a senior in high school here in Ripley, World War II broke out. He was due to graduate in June that year, but instead he and a friend decided to quit school in March of their senior year and enlist in the Navy. “It broke his mother’s heart,” I’ve often heard. Seaman 2nd Class Lanphere never made it to war, however. He contracted rheumatic fever shortly after signing up and was medically discharged before ever being shipped overseas. Not long after coming home to what I’m sure was his very relieved mother, he was killed in an auto accident. I never knew him, but I visit his grave and tend to its upkeep.
There are so many of our men and women who have fought and died for our country who are forgotten. Families have moved away or simply lost touch with their forebearers over the decades or centuries. A stroll through Quincy and East Ripley cemeteries will reveal 200 or more graves of servicemen who lived in Ripley, dating back to before Ripley was a town.
As you visit the cemeteries this Memorial Day weekend, give a thought to those American heroes who died in battle, as well as those who lived to tell the tale. And when you see a veteran, stop and shake their hand and thank them for their service. So few of them receive the gratitude they deserve for sacrifice they’ve made for our freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment