Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Bitch session
I've had another "bad" day at the office. Seems like there are more of those than not, although I try to not let the b******s get me down. I'm just sick to death of working for a paper where it is obvious nobody really cares about the content as long as we get lots of ads in there. I have a feeling I/we (Alex, the editor, and me) could write anything we wanted and nobody in the parent company would know or care, unless of course they got letters from people in outrage. The Westfield Republican used to be a great paper, a small, locally owned information source for the people of the surrounding communities. Not so anymore. It is owned by a conglomerate of papers and probably looked at as a tax write off. It's such a stinkin' shame. There are so many things that could be done to make it better. Alex has some good ideas, but mostly he's too young and inexperienced to really know what direction it should be taken. He doesn't understand demographics, and he certainly doesn't understand quality and pride in workmanship. The only enjoyment I get from it is writing my column, an ocassional article or editorial. I don't plan to be there much past summer, but I'm hoping my column will still be accepted. Who knows, perhaps they'll even pay me for it, like they do their other columnists (who can't spell or construct a sentence).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment