Thursday, February 5, 2009

New Direction

I'm turning in my resignation at the Westfield Republican tomorrow (Friday). I've been contemplating it for awhile now, and the final straw came yesterday when I was told I wasn't doing my job. I've been bustin' my butt, working all kinds of hours and not getting paid for them, but I'm not doing my job. Evidently my job consists of cold calling people to see if they'll advertise in our classified ad section, and doing three or four more reports, and taking on the advertising inserts for the papers, blah blah blah. In essence they want to take away the only part of the job I love (writing) and have me do twice again the amount of work I do, all for $7.75 an hour. The stress just isn't worth it.

I never intended to work full time, but couldn't pass up working for a newspaper and maybe getting my foot in the door to do some writing. With any kind of luck I'll continue to write my Ruminations column, and hopefully get paid for it. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm going to see if they'll pay me something for it. In the meantime, the school has already made calls to tell people I'm on the list for available substitute teacher's aid. And I've been asked to be on the "Friends of the Library" board, so I won't lack for things to do. I just need to make a little money each month so I don't have to beg from Bob.

I'm excited about handing in my notice tomorrow, but a little nervous too. I know it's not going to be taken well. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Mrs. G said...

It's too bad that it didn't turn out how you wanted, but if you can still do your column then that's a good deal for you anyway. Onto bigger and better things!

Paris