There’s Nothing To Do…
Who said there’s nothing to do in this town? The Ripley Library alone has at least one program a month it seems, and February and March are bustin’ at the seams with things to do.
The Big Read starts today (February 18) at the library at 6:30 p.m. The book this year is My Antonia by Willa Cather (pronounced AN-toe-nia I’m told. La-te-da) The book is written in five sections, each highlighting a different part of life on the Nebraska prairie, particularly highlighting the roles of women pioneers. It should be a good read, and if last year’s gathering for the Big Read is any indication, there should be some great discussions about the book. Come join me. I love to play devil’s advocate.
Dr. Spanos from the Office for the Aging will be presenting an information meeting at the library on February 23 at 1 p.m. She will be discussing local classes available for senior citizens, choosing health insurance and senior discounts at restaurants, including Meeder’s. This informational meeting is geared toward seniors 55 and older. Now being called a senior citizen at 55 seems a bit young to me, but then, perks of getting older are gratefully accepted, whenever they appear. Those who are helping care for parents or grandparents are invited also.
Calling all poets! I have been known to dabble in poetry from time to time and I’m hoping to hear some samples from other budding poets in town. The Ripley Library is hosting their annual Poetry Night on March 9th, 7 p.m. You have to register and submit your poem in advance in order to participate. Send your entry to riplylib@cecomet.net to be included in this event. It is open to the public so make sure you don’t write something that will mortify your mother…
The Ripley United Methodist Church tells me they’re hosting an All-You-Can-Eat Spaghetti Dinner on Saturday, February 27th from 4:30 until 7 p.m. They did this last year and for some reason I had it in my head it was on a Sunday. So there I was, plowing through the snow, trying to find a door to enter and wondering why there were no cars parked nearby. Live and learn. It’s on SATURDAY. The price of admission will get you salad, spaghetti, bread, dessert and beverage. Give the church a call for more information, 736-3090.
There’s so much more coming up in the next few months and I’m not sure I’ll be able to attend everything! But I’m sure going to try. This is a hoppin’ little town!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment