Wednesday, December 15, 2010



A Christmas Letter

With the postal rates going up and up, fewer people are sending Christmas cards these days, or sending fewer of them. My own list of card recipients has been trimmed a bit over the last couple years. For several years I didn’t send cards at all simply because I didn’t have time to personalize each message. Then I discovered the “Christmas letter.”

Most of the people I send cards to are either out of state or people I don’t see a lot during the year. It’s not that I don’t care about the friends and relatives who live nearby, it’s just that life gets in the way. This is my way of sharing a bit of what’s happened to me over the past year with you.

For instance, without my newsy little Christmas letter how would my friends and family know about my involvement with the Friends of the Ripley Library and the many events we sponsored this year, like the Valentine bake sale or the trip to IKEA in Pittsburgh to shop for furniture for the library community room?

Or even more exciting, without this missal of information, no one outside Ripley would know of my acting debut as Crystalline Daniels, bar room hussy in the murder mystery production of Honky Tonk Homicide; or my second role, appearing as Gabby Gossip, gossipy newspaper reporter, in The Santa Clause – sadly, typecast in both roles.

Visits from my granddaughter Abby and her family; my daughter, Jessica, and her husband Mike; and my very good friend Sue, from England were definitely highlights of the year. I was able to drive to Minnesota in August to visit my children and friends for the first time since relocating to New York in 2008.

I was privileged in 2010 to be invited to two centenarian birthday parties. My great aunt Alice Kearns from Clymer, turned 100 in June, and my much beloved kindergarten teacher, Edna Kofoed, turned 100 in October. It’s rare to know someone who lives to a 3-digit age, but to know two of them in one year is humbling.

This past year hasn’t been all fun and games though. I’ve tried to do my part with volunteer work around town this past year; and much of the time my column is devoted to various organizations and causes in an effort to bring much needed attention to these worthwhile groups.

I’ve tried to be good this year, although I’ve failed a time or two. And I’ve tried to make my little corner of the world a better place. I wish you all a joyous Christmas and a blessed and peaceful New Year. Consider this my Christmas letter to each of you.

No comments: