Shopping Gone Wild
With Thanksgiving behind us, the 2010 Christmas shopping season has officially begun. Some of you have been shopping for months now, picking up special items for loved ones throughout the year. You people are nuts and an embarrassment to those of us who wait until the last minute to find “just the right gift.” (You are organized and frugal and the secret envy of those of us who aren’t, but you didn’t hear that from me.)
I don’t normally shop “Black Friday,” the crowds and the rudeness get to me; but I ventured to the mall last Friday, and Saturday as it turns out. It really wasn’t too bad. By 9:30 am the frenzied shoppers were done and home sleeping it off. I did encounter a phenomenon with which I was unfamiliar, however. Canadians. Canadians come by the bus loads to shop Black Friday weekend. I had no idea.
After seeing dozens of cars with Ontario plates and bus after bus in the parking lots of every major retailer, I cornered one of our friends to the north and asked why the influx of foreigners. (I didn’t really phrase it that way of course.) It appears that American Black Friday discounts are a far superior deal than those of Canadian retailers. And besides, “It’s a fun weekend. We come down with friends every year to shop and enjoy the crowds,” said my Canadian friend. These people gotta get out more.
I’m not sure how deep our discounts have to be in order to make it worthwhile to pay bus fare, hotel stays and duty upon returning to Canada, but thanks for supporting the American economy Canada. Come on down!
A relatively recent shopping occurrence is Cyber Monday. Cyber Monday is to the Internet as Black Friday is to the retail stores. I am young enough to know what Cyber Monday is and old enough to not trust shopping on the Internet. The great deals of the season are offered online on the Monday following Thanksgiving, and while I’m sure they are phenomenal, I just never think to shop the Internet. My kids shop online all the time. Their Christmas lists are entered on Amazon. I wonder if they know that anyone old enough to still be shopping for them won’t think to look on the computer to do so.
There is something about entering my credit card number and sending it out into the ether that just doesn’t set right with me. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve done it. I’m sure I’ll do it again. It just doesn’t feel right. I bet the Canadians don’t do it – they come to America.
One more thought and I’ll let you go. When you are out there shopping in the Season of Love for the ones you love, smile. Hum along with the carols being played. Greet passers-by with a hearty Merry Christmas. Relax and use the time standing in line to observe your fellow man. Practice random acts of kindness. It’s contagious you know. Spread a little Christmas cheer and remember the reason behind all this hustle and bustle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment